There are several ways that you can better protect you and your family from contracting the flu virus this season. If you are a parent of a child who does not like needles, there is an effective alternative!
Unlike the seasonal flu shot that is made from inactivated influenza viruses the flu mist is called LAIV and is a nasal spray that does not cause the flu virus. LAIV will allow your immune system to create proteins in your blood that help build immunity to fight against flu viruses.
The nasal spray is approved for anyone 2 through 49 years of age. However, this spray is not meant for everyone. These people should not get nasal spray vaccine:
- Pregnant women
- Children under 2 years old
- Adults 50 or older
- Anyone with a history of Guillain-Barre syndrome (GBS)
- Those suffering from asthma or other pulmonary diseases
- People with chronic heart, lung disease, liver or nervous system disorders
- Those who have kidney (renal) failure
- Anyone with a weakened immune system
- Children or adolescents taking aspirin or aspirin-containing products.
If you are suitable for the flu mist vaccination, stop by AFC Urgent Care Edgewater today! Our urgent care center is open 7 days a week, no appointments necessary, for all of your urgent care needs.
For pricing information on flu mist vaccinations or general information on what we treat at our center, you can give us a call Monday-Friday from 8am to 8pm and Saturday and Sunday from 8am to 6pm!